For several years after the Civil
War, preaching services were held in private homes.
These services were conducted by two local ministers,
Issac Copeland and Riley Trammel. Rev. Sidney Richmond
was the first circuit rider named in 1870. Circuit
riders normally served the circuit for a two-year
period. Other circuit riders were: Rev. Shannon, Rev.
Ben Jarmine McNeal, Rev. Alex Robeson, Rev. James Rice,
Rev.J. L. Jenkins, Rev. Myrick, Rev. J. R. Ledbetter and
Rev. L. E. Aspley.
Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in 1888
by Evangelist Pascal. Church was held in the Union
Church until it was destroyed by a storm in 1889.
Methodist Episcopal Church South of Van Buren, then
received the title to lots 3 and 4 of block six for the
sum of one dollar, cash in hand on February 12, 1900
from B. T. and Myra Terry. The trustees (R. D. Clay,
George T. Lee, Frank McSpadden, J. H. Richards and John
A. Ray) received the title, and the Methodist Episcopal
Church South was built on the property. This church
served faithfully until 1948 when a new church was built
at the corner of Oliver and Sycamore. The new building
has had improvements to the educational wing and the
basement fellowship hall over the years.. This building
of red granite blocks has stood in the middle of town to
meet the needs of the rural community with love and
concern. There have been concerns about our aging
building and the improvements needed. A building
committee was formed last year to address accessibility
issues as well as adding some much needed space and
technological improvements. The Church has had a strong
past and is looking forward to a stronger future.
|This is a picture
taken of the church about 1908 (built shortly
after the turn of the century) and it was called
the Methodist Episcopal South Church. The
present church was built in 1948.
Sunday School/Bible Study - 9:30 a.m..
Worship Service - 10:30 a.m..
Prayer Meeting - 9:30 a.m..
Choir Practice - 4:00 p.m.
Bible Study and Prayer - Wednesday 6:00 pm